First St SE, Washington, DC 20004
Visitors enter the U.S. Capitol through the Capitol Visitor Center. The entrance is located on the east side of the Capitol.
Welcome to the U.S. Capitol, where the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate have met for more than two centuries. Today, it stands as a monument not only to its builders but also to the American people and our system of representative democracy. For general information about touring the U.S. Capitol, go to www.visitthecapitol.gov
. Please note that the U.S. Capitol is subject to temporary suspension of tours . Thank you for visiting the U.S. Capitol . PROHIBITED ITEMS
Before entering the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, all visitors are screened by a magnetometer, and all items that are permitted inside the building are screened by an x - ray device. Visitors should keep their belongings with them at all times as unattended items may result in a disruption of service at the Capitol. While certain exceptions for medical needs can be made, the following items are strictly prohibited:
• Liquid, including water
• Food or beverage of any kind, including fruit and unopened packaged food Aerosol containers
• Non - aerosol spray (Prescriptions for medical needs are permitted.)
• Any pointed object, e.g. knitting needles and letter openers (Pens and pencils are permitted.) Any bag larger than 18 " wide x 14 " high x 8.5 " deep
• Electric stun guns, martial arts weapons or devices
• Guns, replica guns, ammunition, and fireworks Knives of any size Mace and pepper spray
• Razors and box cutters Visitors: The Capitol Visitor Center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday. It is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Presidential Inauguration Days. Official Business: Visitors with official business appointments may enter the Capitol Visitor Center as early as 7:15 a.m. For Official Use Only : Embassy Kazakhstan Dec 15 , 2022 TIPS FOR VISITING THE U.S. CAPITOL.
As parking is limited on Capitol Hill , visitors are encouraged to use public transportation to reach the U.S. Capitol. Train ( Metrorail ) stations and bus stops are nearby - the Union Station and Capitol South Metrorail stops are the most convenient to the Capitol.
• Visitors enter the U.S. Capitol through the Capitol Visitor Center. The entrance is located on the east side of the Capitol.
• To visit the Galleries of the Senate or House of Representatives, obtain separate passes from the office of your Senators or Representative. International visitors may inquire about passes at the Senate or House of Representatives Appointment Desks located inside the Capitol Visitor Center . . The tour of the historic Capitol includes a 45 - minute guided walking tour as well as a 13 - minute orientation film . Escalators and elevators are located near the public stairways , and wheelchairs are available upon request at the Visitor Center .
• Please take advantage of Exhibition Hall , the Restaurant , the Gift Shops and the other amenities at the Capitol Visitor Center before or after your tour.
• The U.S. Capitol is subject to the unscheduled suspension of tours . Your feedback is important to us .